Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Summer walking in Boston

Because the WalkBoston office is right downtown, I've had a great opportunity to start exploring parts of Boston that I've been saying for years that I should check out.

Last night, a friend and I met up after work and meandered down to the water by way of Quincy Market, where we didn't manage to pass ourselves off as tourists ("You live here, are local?" a vendor asked us before offering to sell us overpriced dresses with a "locals' discount".) We walked down to the Harbor and then along the water up to the North End and back. I hadn't spent time in that area since the Big Dig got closed up and the Rose Kennedy Greenway was landscaped. For all the great fiasco that's been, I have to say, I'm sold on the change it's made to downtown Boston, connecting the city and the water.

There's also a great fountain you should be sure to check out, near the Aquarium, especially on a hot day if you're strolling with kids. I'm tempted to skip out of work early today and go get my feet wet, in fact.

No comments: