Thursday, January 8, 2009

Winter in Boston: not for sissies

Wow, this sure has been an unpleasant week for walking, and, really, leaving the house in general here in eastern Massachusetts. Yuck!

Monday, we were treated to a thin sheen of ice on just about everything. Several of my friends slipped on their front steps or sidewalks. I continued my campaign to shame the architecture firm that lives at the end of my street and never clears their sidewalk by calling them and pointing out that walking by their building is extremely treacherous.

Tuesday wasn't bad, but yesterday blew chunks, rather literally! I felt like I was walking on small, icy marbles suspended in water for maximum slipping and slopping. Happily, by the end of the day, it was just rain, but when temperatures dropped last night, that was transformed into a thick sheet of ice almost everywhere.

Take care out and about today, and this winter! I know it's no better to be on a bike or car today, either.

No comments: