Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cold weather walking

Now that the weather around Boston is starting to get blustery and cold, I know a lot of people have a more difficult time motivating themselves out the door for a walk.

I know that, for myself, there are a couple of hurdles to get over when I'm thinking about walking in cooler weather. First, if I'm comfortable in my house or office, it's pretty tough to get excited to step out into the cold. If I'm a little chilly, as sometimes happens if I'm sitting still indoors, it's even more difficult to consider going out! The best way for me to encourage myself up and out, in either case, is to think about the good things about getting outside. If the sun's out, even if it's cold, I'll be glad for a hit of bright light. If it's grey, I just focus on feeling good through movement or getting errands done. I must admit, this doesn't always work, so if any of you have other ideas here, I'm all ears.

Once I'm feeling inspired to leave the house, there's the issue of dressing appropriately. In warm weather, all I have to do is put on comfortable shoes and be on my way. In the cooler months, there's the additional step of bundling up. Of course, I can't recommend this enough. Nothing will hamstring my decision to stay active in cold weather like one or two walks that see me arriving home with a case of hypothermia. If I do that in October, you're not going to see me leaving the house voluntarily until April, maybe May. So I'm a big fan of bundling up. I don't care if it makes me look silly (okay, well, I care a little bit, but I get over it) to wear a hat, scarf, gloves, three sweaters, and two pairs of long underpants under my winter coat. I understand this is particularly difficult for people who come from warmer climates. Trust me; having the right clothing for being outdoors makes a big difference in your experience of time spent out and about. SRSLY.

I'm a big believer in structurally encouraging myself to do the things I know I want to do, so I like to make plans to have hot cocoa at a coffee shop that's a pleasant walk from my house, for example, so I'm motivated (i.e., forced) to leave the house, but there's a built-in reward at the end. I mean, a reward beyond the satisfaction of getting up and moving around, which can be hard to get excited about when you're cozy on the comfy couch in the middle of winter, for sure.

No comments: